Wednesday, June 30, 2010

That Old Familial Feeling

I share a birthday with this person. In fact, when my mother found out she had to have a c-section she insisted on my being born on her birthday. "She" is my aunt.

I grew up knowing this story about her wanting me born on her birthday, which made me ponder even more from the time I could comprehend it until now why she never appeared to like me in the least. The person in this picture is not the 52 year-old woman I know. She is not the same person who kicked us out of our own family 10 years ago.

I don't know this girl. This girl is someone my mother liked and respected. These pictures were taken by the cops back in the mid 70s. I don't really know the whole story, because I didn't really ask, but she and my mother were walking home from school and a group of girls jumped them. 4 held my mother down while the others bashed in my aunt's face with their fists and class rings. I think my aunt was even on crutches at the time with a broken leg.

When I look at these pictures I see so many people in my family, myself included. We all have a really strong family resemblance, though none of us really look alike, you can just definitely tell we're all related.

I don't really know what my point is. I guess just nostalgia for something that I never even experienced, but nostalgia all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment